Guest Andy Reed

12 Universal Activities, 4 Categories , 1 Ginormous Funnel

5 posts in this topic

While reading the first chapter I thought about the twelve (literally) projects sitting on my desk that are in various stages of completion - everything from actually writing a strategic plan to preaparing the organization to offer home equity loans again.   Then I came to the sentence, "there exists twelve universal activities that all leaders perform on a daily basis."  My first thought:  that's a little oversimplified, isn't it?  Flipping the page I saw the four categories, the activities, and the funnel.   And then I had to laugh, especially about the funnel.  Every day my thoughts jump randomly from category to category, leaving me feeling as if I've survived a mental tornado at the end of the day.  (As an aside, the mental exhaustion that comes from these daily mental tornados was the thing for which I was most unprepared when I became a CEO).   

In MBA school you are taught analysis, the actions to take to accurately define a problem, how to develop a strategy, how to implement tactics to deliver results, and how to measure results to define success or failure.   But you're not taught these activities have as structure.   I think ET will add value by providing a structure for thinking that will expedite completion of key projects.    

Probably gonna have to read the whole book now!  And it's a whopper.

1 person likes this

The book is not only lengthy but I found it to be a difficult read with the number of concepts, graphs, and cyclones (yes, you read that right). Sounds to me that you may need a Project Manager but if that's not possible I would highly recommend Chapter 3, more specifically the section about Projects and Managing Priorities. It has a lot of tools, practical tools one can implement.  

1 person likes this

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:19 PM, Guest Diandra Murga said:

Sounds to me that you may need a Project Manager but if that's not possible I would highly recommend Chapter 3, more specifically the section about Projects and Managing Priorities. It has a lot of tools, practical tools one can implement.  

I agree with you on reading Chapter 3, Projects and Managing Priorities, maybe also revisit if all these projects are priorities if they can't be assigned other project managers. 

Reading chapter one and seeing the Enterprise Thinking diagram with the cyclone gave me a bit of assurance that I am not alone with the familiar feelings, thoughts and frustrations in my day to day decision making and even just thinking experiences.  I often find myself being incredibly critical of myself because I haven't come up with that great idea to impact our buisness and staff and change our processes.  I look forward to learning more about the four categories and how I can grow and strengthen my abilities in each category but espcially in strategizing and forecasting.

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Guest Andy Reed said:

Every day my thoughts jump randomly from category to category, leaving me feeling as if I've survived a mental tornado at the end of the day.  (As an aside, the mental exhaustion that comes from these daily mental tornados was the thing for which I was most unprepared when I became a CEO).  

Although, I am not a CEO I certainly agree.  I find myself on many a days feeling absolutely exhausted by the mental tornados I survive day in and day out.  I find myself having to make a very intentional effort to focus on one thought/idea at a time.  I feel a sense of accomplishment when i can see one idea/concept through to completion, even if it's just a minor thought, idea or aspect of my task at hand. 

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor