Jennifer Froman

Economics of Thinking

4 posts in this topic

I hadn't thought about the economics of thinking and true cost involved with not spending those extra moments thinking and planning a new project.  Its true we are taught if aren't physically doing something we aren't working.  Even reading can be thought of as non important.  Research, is also, to be kept at a minimum to keep up with the ever changing world.  But if we jump on an outgoing fade it could be very costly, with that extra research and thinking though could have prevented the major loss.  I know now, I have to find more time to be able to use Enterprise Thinking in my job.  Reading just the first part of this book has already opened a whole world or thinking.   The hardest part I have with this is our number of employees is few so after normal day to day operation there is little time left for thinking and planning. 

1 person likes this

Ahhhhh.....did you address this from the negative.  What if, the thinking translated to needing fewer team members to do the same or even better job and with less heartache.  

For example, everyone in our organization can look up the first interactions with Janine, what day, where they emails or calls, what was talked about, etc. FYI it was August 9, 2005 at 12:35 PM EST and this is just one of our approx 537 interactions (It's impossible to keep track of every thing and yet we're pretty good). We cut and paste whataspp and messenger dialogs.  We have over 25328 names in our database, our filing systems across all the businesses we own are the same structure.  We also use year-month-day 17-06-16 to file a document.  Mind you this is just in one area of our operations.  The thinking created the system that empowers the people.  You'll learn GPP soon.

My point, we need 50% or less people than most of the organizations I know in the same space AND I personally sleep like a baby knowing that we don't have to remember all this information. Thinking makes time, frees up resources, minimizes redos, helps retain employees, etc.  One lost employee can be 50, 60, 70 hours of a headache. Just think about it.

2 people like this

I was not intending it to be negative, but a true enlightening of the need to incorporate ET into my workday.  Also an awareness of the lack of knowledge on the importance of ET in the training and schooling I have been to.  I already know, not only do I plan on reading this whole book, but will most likely read it a few times.  I have also already recommended this book because of this enlightening experience so far.

3 people like this

I sometimes feel like I overthink certain projects or ideas, which hinders my ability to move along. I also feel like I have to have all the details right then and sometimes I struggle with thinking outside the box. So I'm excited to learn, grow, and come away with a better mental understanding of how to acquire new knowledge and to be able to put into action steps.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor