Melissa Owings

50,000 Ft. Perspective

15 posts in this topic

I especially liked this section of the chapter but would like to take it a step further. Not only do I want to see the big picture, I would like to have the 50,000 ft. perspective from other credit unions looking in on our credit union.  If another credit union were looking in on us what would they see? What are they doing that we're not and vice versa. Where are we succeeding and where could we use some improvement? I think a lot could be learned and that's why forums, conferences, round tables are so important. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this forum.

3 people like this

Good thought on taking the 50,000 ft perspective and applying it to credit unions.  There is something very valuable when you are able to visit with other credit unions.  It's hard to measure how well you are doing or how things could be improved when you only have yourself to compare to. 

3 people like this

I liked your thought process on the 50,000 foot perspective Melissa.  Instead of keeping it within just the credit union, you took it globally.  Your post broadened my perspective on expanding my view.

Thanks!

1 person likes this

I couldn't agree with all of you more. The 50,000 foot perspective was the most thought provoking piece in this chapter in my eyes. As Melissa has already mentioned, it is great to see a wide angle view of your own institution, but when you can have another credit union view your process and give insight we all grow.  After all that's what credit unions are "People helping people".

1 person likes this

Torrance, opportunities abound as you get to know your classmates, other classes and alum. Could SCMS be the launch pad for peer-to-peer process reviews, sharing best practices with the credit union community?

When I started reading, i found myself falling into the trap of applying ET to my day-to-day activities and operations and how this is going to work out.  What I found pretty quickly is that it's necessary to regularly step back, to a 50,000 foot level, and review the credit union goals and strategies, both short-term and long-term, to be able to make necessary adjustments.  This, to me, is something that gets overlooked too often and I need to remember to to step back to see thing more clearly.

1 person likes this

I agree..  it's one thing to step back to get your own perspective.  But it would take it to a whole different level getting an outsiders perspective.

1 person likes this

Melissa, I agree, what would we see if we stepped out and up to 50,000ft?  Would we see other credit unions trying to learn from our credit union or vice versa?  In our credit union world, credit unions work together to help each other.  So our bigger picture is way different then banks or other industries. 

1 person likes this

What a great idea, Melissa!  I liked the section about 50,000 feet as well.   We talk about 50,000 foot perspectives a lot in leadership, maybe to the point it's become cliche and we don't know what it means any longer.   I think CU's have a unique business model where our leaders aren't focused mainly or solely on leadership and strategy but we are forced to be "working leaders", also heavily focused on tactics in our daily operations daily.   While there is a lot of value to having a strong functional tie back when strategizing, it's also very easy to get lost in the forest for the trees and lose sight of the importance of making time to strategize, because daily tactical work can overtake you.   I constantly force myself to think strategically and get out of the forest.   And it's reallllllllyyyy, really, hard!   

The most important thing that I took from this is to SLOW DOWN! It's okay to allocate time to evaluate, analyze and strategize. Think because it is worth it in the end. It's one thing to be tactical but completely another to add strategic, while one gets the job done, the other gets it done better with long-term benefits.

16 hours ago, Guest 50K or Tactical? said:

(1) I think CU's have a unique business model where our leaders aren't focused mainly or solely on leadership and strategy but we are forced to be "working leaders", also heavily focused on tactics in our daily operations daily.   ........................................(2)  And it's reallllllllyyyy, really, hard!   

1- Not unique...sorry.  Intro and chapter 1
2. It will not be if you read ALL of Paid to THINK and not just the minimum required.  YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! That is unless you like to only do what's required.  (Did I say that out loud?)

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, Guest 50K or Tactical? said:

I constantly force myself to think strategically and get out of the forest.   And it's reallllllllyyyy, really, hard!   

I agree with we HAVE to force ourselves out of the just doing.  Any business that does not change and progress will die.  This is not unique but life of business.  We have to change the way we think about our credits unions, communities, cities and world.  Yes its going to be hard, but from what I have read so far, David has many tools to make this easier.  I am trying remind myself that even adding 10 minutes each day of strategically thinking is steps in right direction.  I have found in the last month, as I have been reading this book, that I spend evening hours thinking of ways to implement these tools in my job and my employees jobs.

2 people like this

I too like the 50,000 ft perspective and agree not everyone's perspective will be the same and this is ok because that's what keeps us going. Having other Credit Unions to ask questions to and bounce things off of is a blessing. People helping people, this motto is so true, we live it everyday.

1 person likes this

I feel like the approach of having others see your organization from 50,000ft is a great idea but I also believe it's very helpful to see other organizations the same way so you can understand some of what drives their success and possibly adapt your methods to enhance your current organization.

Sometimes it becomes hard to see new innovative ways of doing the same old thing when the same old thing is all you know so seeing others successes can help spur innovation in your own thinking.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor