Dave Van Buskirk

Teaching People How You Think

4 posts in this topic

One concept that really fascinated me in Chapter 2 centered around teaching and learning about leadership.

David says:

When you teach leadership, talking about what you do isn't always as important as teaching people how you think. -D. Goldsmith

This section really made me think of my experience as a leader. It also challenged my perceptions of leadership. I most definitely still have a lot to learn, however I do consider myself (and strive to be) a leader rather than just a manager. I would venture to say that the majority of what I have absorbed about leadership has come through observation rather than explanation. Examples include: how to effectively delegate, how to get your team on-board with you, how to approach employees about their performance in a constructive manner, etc. Like most of you, I have learned from both good and bad situations. (I feel like I have learned more from the bad ones!) I am sure most of us have had that passive-aggressive type boss at one point in time, you know the kind that barks orders at you and expects you to fall in line with little to no feedback or explanation. YOU need to just figure it out and get it done! All things being equal, through the good and bad, I have chosen to adopt the mentality that I can always learn something from everyone and every situation I encounter, even if that lesson is what not to do!

This concept of "teaching people how you think" is something I would like to start becoming more mindful of. Being a leader is not all about making "snap decisions" as David puts it. It is about recognizing opportunities. Taking time to strategize and explain is more important and valuable to engaging your team and members.

I would love to hear some thoughts on your experiences with these ideas!

I have always been one to question how one arrives at a decision. Whether it be my husband as to why he prefers to use synthetic vs. reg oil in our vehicles or our senior loan officer as to how he decisions loans, I feel I learn much more when others take the time to explain to me how they arrived at their decision.  

Teaching people how to think is critical if you want your organization or team to thrive in your absence.  It makes your life a lot easier and shows your team you trust them!  it also encourages forward thinkers and not just order takers.

I am currently trying to teach my "fill in" how I think and how I come to conclusions in my daily decisions, for when I leave for SCMS. It is much harder than I thought, getting it down on paper. The section in the book about "priority management" has been of great assistance while trying to accomplish everything before leaving Sunday!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor