Alex Samoilov

Empowering Others

7 posts in this topic

Employees often have the right tools in place, but lack the confidence and the skills to move forward. For me empowerment means believing in your employees and providing the skill sets they need to help them in their endeavors. There has been several occasions where I had individuals who were ready for the next step in their career, but they lacked the confidence to act upon it.I help coach them, develop them, and I encourage them to expand their knowledge and skills so that they can better themselves in the log run.

2 people like this

I completely agree with you. Our CEO is committed to getting his employees the training, experiences, and education they need to get wherever they're going in life, even if that's away from the credit union. This is such an important aspect of keeping staff motivated to do their best each day and go above and beyond. Feeling valued and appreciated (and worth an investment of time and money) is a guaranteed way to increase morale.

The 80/20 rule really strikes me. While developing your people is important, having the systems in place is crucial. Sometimes, I think credit unions focus so much on cultivating the people that we forget the efficacy of our systems. We talk about superior customer service, but are the teller computers working fast enough to carry out transactions quickly and accurately? We discuss training, but have we invested in the resources to train on multiple levels? We must "build the package." Then, there are no excuses.

1 person likes this

I love the way this chapter started out. I do have a 16 year old son who has currently started driving, and is enrolled in an online drivers course, which we're not completely finished with yet. Having the right tools and training will help him grow, learn, and have the responsibilities he will need into the future. This same concept is the same throughout any of our jobs. I take pride in my job and try my best to make sure we have everyone in the right places on the bus. I agree with the 80/20 Principle because without the Systems and Structures we wouldn't be empowering our people to help us achieve our Desired Outcome.

1 person likes this

Alex, you hit the nail on the head. Often times the right tools are in place, but if you lack the skills and confidence your are stuck. I encourage my team every chance I get to learn as much as they can when they can. And even though they love our department, I challenge them to step out of their comfort zone and if a position opens up they may interested in we have a coaching session to make sure they are well prepared for their interview. They know that my desire to see them grow, even if it is not within our department.  

Tashara, recommend you visit with the two gents from BluCurrent in the 3rd year class. Yes, Craig Tabor's credit union. They hold resume workshops at the credit union. As a leader, Craig wants his team to be the best they can be - whatever and wherever that may be.

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor